Monday, July 25, 2011

The Trouble with May Amelia by Jennifer L. Holm


"My brother Wilbert tells me that I'm like a grain of sand in an oyster."

The summary is hidden because it may contain spoilers. If you would like to read the full summary, simply use your cursor to highlight the next few lines and it will magically appear.

Living with seven brothers and her father, who thinks girls are useless, a thirteen-year-old Finnish American farm girl is determined to probe her worth when an enterprising gentleman tries to purchase their cash-strapped family settlement in Washington State in 1900.

Antheneum Books; 204 pages

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading the continued adventures of May Amelia and her family. This time the family had so many problems though, I was almost overwhelmed. I also am not sure this book would stand very well on it's own - reading the first was a definate advantage and for this reason it would not get my Newbery vote. However, if you enjoyed the first installment of this book, don't miss this one. May Amelia sure has spunk!

Kris said...

I haven't read the first May Amelia book and I have to admit that I felt a little lost at times. I was quite surprised at the gruff treatment she receives from her family, the cover art led me to believe this would be a sweet historical fiction story. Maybe reading the first book would shed some light.