Monday, May 4, 2009

Wild Things by Clay Carmichael


"Humans were diggers and buriers, the cat thought, like dogs."

The abstract is hidden because it may contain spoilers. If you would like to read the full summary, simply use your cursor to highlight the next few lines and it will magically appear.

Abstract: Stubborn, self-reliant, eleven-year-old Zoe, recently orphaned, moves to the country to live with her prickly half-uncle, a famous doctor and sculptor, and together they learn about trust and the strength of family.

Publisher: Front Street; 240 pages

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful book; characters with a depth rarely found in children's literature and a touching story that appeals to children and adults alike.

Clare said...

I agree, I thought the story in the book was wonderful. It is definitely one of my favorites thus far.

Anonymous said...

This has fast become my favorite book that I have read so far. I loved the way that Carmichael created Zoe and Henry's relationship. What a great way for the two of them to find a real love. The supporting characters were great as well, and the little twist at the end with Wil added a little to the story, although I still would have loved the book without even mention of Wil. Great book, great read!

Anonymous said...

I was captivated by the characters in this book. They were written about so well I felt that I knew them. I loved Zoe's character! Such an adventurous spirit, and closeness with her surroundings is inspiring.

Kris said...

Absolutely beautiful! I just finished it, and I'll be re-reading it tonight when I get home, savoring every minute. This tops my list for now.

kim said...

I liked this book, but it is not one of my favorites. I felt the characters were exaggerated characters of themselves! The dialogue just did not ring true for me. I did like the story and would love to have seen it done in more capable hands.

Jen said...

This story reminded me of how I felt when I read Tender Morsels by Lanagan. I was intrigued by the bonds that connected characters to each other. The characters themselves were well drawn, sympathetic characters. And I thought the added perspective of the cat gave us a fascinating angle. Well done, Clay Carmichael.