Friday, July 24, 2009

Also Known as Harper by Ann Haywood Leal

"Winnie Rae Early followed ten steps behind me the entire way home from school."

The abstract is hidden because it may contain spoilers. If you would like to read the full summary, simply use your cursor to highlight the next few lines and it will magically appear.

Abstract: Writing poetry helps fifth-grader Harper Lee Morgan cope with her father's absence, being evicted, and having to skip school to care for her brother while their mother works, and things look even brighter after she befriends a mute girl and a kindly disabled woman.

Publisher: Henry Holt; 243 pages

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Not my favorite of the year. I liked the characters, but I felt that there was no way it could get worse for this family, and then it does over and over and over again. It was too much of a downer and not enough hope in the end.

Peaceful Reader said...

I liked this one. It shows the struggle of a family down on their luck. I work with students where I see problems escalate like this. I enjoyed the Harper as a character.