Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tropical Secrets: Holocaust Refugees in Cuba by Margarita Engle

"Last year in Berlin,
on the Night of Crystal,
my grandfather was killed
while I held his hand."

The abstract is hidden because it may contain spoilers. If you would like to read the full summary, simply use your cursor to highlight the next few lines and it will magically appear.

Abstract: Escaping from Nazi Germany to Cuba in 1939, a young Jewish refugee dreams of finding his parents again, befriends a local girl with painful secrets of her own, and discovers that the Nazi darkness is never far away.

Publisher: Henry Holt; 198 pages

2 comments:

kim said...

Tropical Secrets is beautifully written in verse form. It is a heart wrenching account of the plight of Jewish refugees in the late 1930s. I discovered some shameful human history which I did not know. It is a wonderful book.

Anonymous said...

I didn't enjoy reading this book. It was written in verse. I guess I didn't like it because it was written in verse but, I enjoyed the plot line behind it. I would recommend this to someone that likes to read stories in verse or someone that is dying to read a book and can't find a good one.